Sunday, August 30, 2009

Supporting our Spouse

Unemployment or displaced workers are words we are hearing every day. We hear it hear from neighbors, relatives, friends and family. Did you ever imagine that you would be saying those words to your family and friends? I did not. I thought my husband’s job was secure. He’d been with his former company for 17 years. None the less, the contract his company was working on was cut short by the Army.

As spouses, what do we do? I am a stay at home mom. Do I go out and find a job to supplement our income or do I continue writing in hopes that somewhere along the line, an income will grow from my work? I’m choosing to continue writing. It brings me both pleasure and a feeling of accomplishment.

What can we do to support our spouses? First, let your spouse know your concerns. Don’t hide them or let them build up; it is unhealthy for both your relationship and yourself.

Encourage your spouse to spend 20 – 22 hours a week looking for jobs. Help your spouse look, look for sources that he/she can submit their resume to. Network with friends, family and neighbors whose companies may be hiring in the field your spouse works in, don’t be afraid to email every single person you know, ask them for the names of hiring managers, human resource recruiters or head hunters. Every little thing you do could potentially help your spouse. It will also help your spouse to know you care enough to help him/her in their job search.

I published my husband’s Unemployment story from my perspective; it helped me to write about what was happening in our life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment